Tuesday 9 October 2012

When music means something

I've aaaaaalways been one of those people who walks around everywhere with their headphones in, I get lost in songs so easily and music has had a massive impact on my life. So this post is dedicated to all the times when music has meant the most to me.

My Top Three Memories of Music

3. Being lucky enough to see Dallas Green live:
Dallas Green as City and Colour,
Live at Leeds Irish Centre (06/07/11
)

City and Colour have been one of my favourite acts for years, but whilst Dallas was part of Alexisonfire, they never really performed anywhere in the UK other than London. Early last year, there were rumours that City and Colour would do a small gig in Leeds and I think I screamed my house down in excitement. Not only do I absolutely adore him, but the words of his songs are astonishingly beautiful and there's a few that I can't listen to without crying. I was lucky enough to get a ticket for the gig (1100 sold out in 9 minutes!) and got there early enough to hear the sound check, even though I couldn't even see him at this point, hearing his voice in person gave me shivers all over! And then when the doors opened, me and my friend Will were so close to the front that we were within touching distance. I'll never ever forget being close enough to one of my favourite men in the entire world to take the above picture. Shortly after, I got some of the lyrics from his song "Against The Grain" tattooed, and I vow that I will not rest until I've met him and shoved my foot in his face (not as aggressively as that sounds, though!)

City and Colour - "Against The Grain"

2. Meeting Josh Franceschi:

Josh Franceschi,
Taken after a gig in Preston (08/10/11)

Anyone who knows me will know that my obsession with You Me At Six is borderline disturbing. They were the first band I properly liked and everyone used to look at me funny in high school for listening to them in ICT lessons (hahaha). The first time I saw them live I was about 15 years old, and I've been to a show on every tour they've done since. The atmosphere at their gigs is so amazing, and over the years I feel in love with front man Josh Franceschi. For my 18th birthday, Nafisah got me tickets to see them in the city where we go to university. The gig was absolutely amazing, despite her losing one of her shoes and us being separated for half of it, it was hands down one of their best shows I've seen. And as if that wasn't enough we even got to meet Josh afterwards, he was so lovely and not arrogant at all, like some musicians are, he spoke to us for a while, signed our tickets and gave me a mahooosive hug. This will be my favourite individual memory forever more.

You Me At Six - "Liquid Confidence (Nothing To Lose)"

1. The Dykeenies

The Dykeenies have been my favourite band in the world since I was 13 years of age. They unfortunately split up at the beginning of 2012 but they provided me with so many perfect memories. The first time I saw them live, they were supporting The Ordinary Boys in my home town and even though no one in the thousand person strong crowd knew who on Earth they were, they still had every single person singing along to their song. As one of the first gigs I ever went to, the atmosphere was so amazing and I've been in love with them ever since. The next time I saw them live was on their tour when they performed in The Cockpit, Leeds. Because it's a smaller venue, it felt like such an intimate gig and I was right at the front practically sat on the stage. Being so close to them was amazing, and at the age of being a fangirl, I was quite overwhelmed. After the show I was absolutely dying to meet them so I could get their first album signed. We waited for ages and just as we were about to leave the stage door opened and they all came out and signed my CD, let me have photos with them and I even got a drum stick, a guitar pick and a massive hug from my favourite member. That might not sound like a big deal because they're hardly known but they're my favourite band in the entire world. 

Myself and The Dykeenies, (March 2009)
Taken Outside The Cockpit, Leeds


I saw them again a couple of times after that, but it wasn't until the tour for their second album in late 2011 that I met them again. This time, I asked them to sign the pictures from the first time I met them, and the lead singer knew me by name... I passed him the photo and he replied "oh wow you're Jayde Tunnacliffe", well, that was it... the fifteen year old fan girl inside me was back! 

Myself and The Dykeenies (October 2009)
Taken at The Cockpit, Leeds

After that, the drummer messaged me and said they were doing a pre new year's eve gig in York and offered to put me on the guestlist! In early 2012, they announced their split and said they would do a farewell gig in Glasgow (that's where they're from), and even though it was miles away and in a different country (I know it's still part of the UK but it was a long way to go!) I travelled the four hours there to see them. During the gig, I got a shout out from the lead singer right before my favourite song because he recognised me at the front of the crowd and after the show I got to meet them again. Then we were all invited to the afterparty in a club in Glasgow, where the VIP area was sectioned off for the boys and their fans. All in all, it was the best night of my life, and it was definitely worth the 8 hour round trip, being in cold Scotland til 4am and not sleeping for 36 hours! I'm so glad that The Dykeenies were part of my life.

                                      
Myself and The Dykeenies, (May 2012)
Taken both outside and inside Glasgow Students' Union


The Dykeenies - Sounds Of The City 

When did music mean the most to you?

1 comment:

  1. haha the part about me loosing my shoe made me laugh. What a night! :) <3 xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete