Saturday 6 October 2012

Gel eye-liner: Bobbi Brown vs Maybelline

Ever since I discovered what it was, I've been a liquid eye-liner enthusiast and I've worn it everyday since I was about thirteen... I'm a fan of the good old eye-liner flick, too (but when it's nearly touching your eyebrow I think it's about time for some serious life re-evaluation).

Anyway, when I first heard of 'gel' eye-liner it was something I instantly wanted to try because it promised the quick drying, no smudging perfectness that seemed like the holy grail when it came to eye-liner! Now, Bobbi Brown's 'long wear gel eye-liner' was the first one I heard of so I was really excited when I received it as an early birthday present (I even did a little victory dance around my bedroom).



I was slightly disappointed with the product overall, and at first though that might have just been because I had such high expectations of it. I got a Bobbi Brown eye-liner brush with it but I really didn't like this; I felt the bristles were too hard, which made the eye-liner itself very hard to use as it felt like I was applying my make up with a tooth pick!

This aside, I thought I'd give it another go and tried the liner with another brush. Yes, it dries almost instantly but this made it hard to move the eye-liner across the lid. And after wearing it all day, it begins to smudge.

I disappointedly went back to using liquid eye-liner until last week when I was in superdrug and Maybelline  make up was on 3-for-2. So I picked up their version of gel eyeliner to try another brand, thinking that if I was disappointed by it, it hadn't cost me anything.

I was SO pleasantly surprised. Firstly, the brush it came with is amazing, it feels just like a liquid eye-liner applicator, it's easy to move across the eyelid and it dries in seconds, and I've worn it all day/night and it didn't smudge a tiny bit. Priced at £7.99 it's also a bargain compared to the £17 price tag that the Bobbi Brown one carries! 


**The images used in this post are not my own, and were sourced from Google**

No comments:

Post a Comment